Ukraine demands opening all six EU negotiation clusters by June 2026, says Hungarian political obstacle removed
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said on May 22 that Kyiv insists on the formal opening of all six EU negotiation clusters in June, citing the removal of a political obstacle previously linked to Hungary’s government after recent elections. Sybiha stated that Ukraine has completed the required benchmarks and believes its progress merits a positive EU assessment. He also confirmed preparations for a meeting between President Volodymyr Zelensky and Hungarian Prime Minister Péter Magyar.
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said on May 22 that Kyiv insists on the formal opening of all six EU negotiation clusters in June 2026, citing the removal of a political obstacle previously linked to Hungary’s government after recent elections.
"We believe that the main political obstacle in the form of the Orbán government has been removed after the elections in Hungary, and we have really reached a state of affairs where diplomacy should and can do its job," Sybiha said during an online briefing. He stressed that opening all clusters by the end of June is a realistic goal and that Ukraine has received the required benchmarks, completed the necessary work, and believes its progress merits a positive EU assessment.
Sybiha confirmed preparations for a meeting between President Volodymyr Zelensky and Hungarian Prime Minister Péter Magyar, saying the timing and location will be agreed through diplomatic channels. Negotiating teams from both sides have already begun consultations. Magyar recently suggested a possible meeting with Zelensky in Berehove, Transcarpathia, where ethnic Hungarians make up a significant part of the population.
Recent Ukraine-Hungary talks involving Deputy Prime Minister for European and Euro-Atlantic Integration Taras Kachka and Hungarian Foreign Minister Anita Orbán lasted more than six hours. "I have read the report, and we are now internally discussing the results of these negotiations, or consultations. My first conclusion is that progress has definitely been made," Sybiha said.
Sybiha also rejected German Chancellor Friedrich Merz’s proposal for "associated membership" in the EU, which would allow Ukrainian officials to attend EU summits and ministerial meetings without voting rights. "Our position is full, full-fledged membership in the EU," he said, stressing that interim formats cannot replace Ukraine’s strategic objective.
He rejected the idea of former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder acting as a mediator in peace talks. "It’s definitely not Schröder. And I want to immediately make it clear so that the Russians stop offering Gérard Depardieu, Steven Seagal – I don’t know, maybe they’ll bring in Orbán as their negotiator," Sybiha said in a mocking remark about Russian proposals.
Sybiha warned against individual leaders holding separate talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin, saying such approaches weaken European unity and play into Moscow’s strategy of division. He said the format of European participation in future peace talks is still under discussion but must be fast and coordinated. "This should not be protracted," he said.